Friday, April 30, 2010

let's go



Martin has started to argue with his little sister. I sometimes overhear them in another room having conversations like this one:

"This is my bed."
"No, it's my bed."
"Nope, it's my bed."
"Arg."

These exchanges have only occurred in the last few weeks, so they are not completely annoying yet. On the contrary, I'm thrilled by them because they reveal a new conversational capacity in Martin. In the exchange noted above, Martin initiated the conversation, something that can be very hard for autistics to do. He listened to his conversation partner's response. He responded to her response. And none of the exchange depended on flashcards, prompting, or encouragement.

It was a normal fight between siblings. Until our next long road trip, I'll revel in this step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment